After our unexpected layover in Greenfield, which cost me $90 for an unused motel room (oh well), we woke up to VERY cold temps..upper 40s. Luckily our clothes had mostly dried, and we layered up but that did not ward off the chill completely. Such are the hazards of this time of year. 
     On the road and headed towards North Adams, Chris had a problem with his Sena head stopped working, mine was fine. So unfortunately, he had to endure the rest of the trip with no music. Amazing how spoiled you get once you get used to music playing while riding..especially when it is taken away.  We found a nice coffee shop on the way and stopped to warm up and have a bite, then continued on to North Adams. 
     I had a brainstorm...since I had my tablet, I suggested we find a wi-fi connection and attempt to re-install his firmware...but we did not have a micro-usb adapter and had no luck finding one. So it was on the the summit of Mt. Greylock. By now the temp was increasing, luckily as the wind on the summit had kicked up quite a bit. 
    That did not detract from the view, which was spectacular as usual. The cooler temp actually made the visibility even greater. After a couple of photos, we started to head back. Of course I had to strap on the action cam to capture the Mohawk Trail, which boasts some amazing twists and stunning scenery. The start of this road is a switchback curve where the Golden Eagle restaurant is located, and affords a panoramic view of the Berkshire Valley.  Chris took the lead and I ran the camera close behind him to capture the moment, and what made it even better was the lack of traffic in front of us! 
   We stopped again in Greenfield for the Peoples Pint (of course Chris knows where all the brew pubs are). Then it was a straight shot on route 2 for 90 minutes, or so, to home..where football awaited.

     Chris and I had planned to leave and travel to Williamstown today..but mother nature had other plans. We checked the weather before we left, and rain was predicted, but not until evening. Since we departed at 2PM, we had hoped to reach Williamstown around 5:30 PM. 
     Unfortunately, the rain started around 3PM...a slow steady drizzle that never relented just about when we got on route 122N...which, in sunshine,  is a beautiful ride. In the rain, a much different story. After layering up and gutting it out for about an hour, fighting chilling temps and poor visibility, we pulled into a rest area for coffee and to rid the chills. We were still about 70 miles from our goal. 
     I spoke to Chris and suggested that we find a place to hole up for the night and dry out in the immediate area, since the rain was expected to get even heavier, and we were chilled to the bone already. Chris agreed, but we were in the town of Orange and there was no civilization for another 20 miles: the town of Greenfield. We made the decision to get to Greenfield and hope that accommodations were available. So it was back on the road.
   The visibility was very poor with a steady rain bombarding our face shields and the going was times it appeared that the rain might let up, and just as quickly it got heavier. Chris was mentioning through the intercom that his legs were chilled and shaking and his hands were numb..I concurred. It was a bit scary for a while. 
     Finally we saw signs for Greenfield and diverted off the main road. We passed through a rotary and saw a Quality Inn appear, like an oasis in the desert. There were few vehicles in the parking lot so it looked like we might be in luck. The concierge (Indian - big surprise!) informed us he did have a room with separate beds..and we grabbed it. Once in the room, the heat was cranked and our soaked garments: gloves, socks, and boots were set out to dry. My rain suit kept me dry, mostly, except for a little leakage in the pant leg. 
     Chris has a leather riding jacket. and once wet, leather is very difficult to dry, it takes a LONG time. But being the resourceful person that he is, he figured out a unique method of speeding the process. He hung his jacket in the bathroom, took the hair dryer from the wall and inserted in the cuff of the sleeve, then turned it on. The warm air blew through the jacket and helped to dry it. After about 2 hours, the jacket was 90% dry. 
     Exhausted and hungry, there was an Applebees next door and it was welcome. The bartender made us kick ass Mojitos that ht the spot. After stuffing ourselves on pasta, salads and ice cream, we watched gratuitous TV programming in the room until we were both comatose. We would tackle Mt. Greylock in the morning....